Will m-Commerce Mark the End of e-Commerce for Businesses?
Is m-Commerce the end of e-Commerce is a big question that looms the online commerce industry amidst different predictions. Till about a couple of years back people, we were talking about how ecommerce is pushing retail business back to the wall, and now we are already questioning its sustenance in the near future as another technology is aiming to overpower it. Before we delve any further into this argument, it would be worth taking a look at stats of some of the top ecommerce websites in the world.
- There are more than a 300 million desktops and laptops around the world, while the number of smartphone is almost eight times this figure
- Mobile internet usage has exceeded the 60% mark in the developed world, and the numbers are soon catching up in the developing world as well
- In 2015, Amazon recorded 60% of its sales via mobile devices compared to a single digit percentage at the start of the decade
- Chinese ecommerce giant Alibaba clocked 43% of sales via mobile in 2015 compared to 13% in 2013
- In India, Flipkart that saw 20% of its sales coming from mobile devices in 2014, which nearly doubled in 2015.