Why Choose Custom Software When COTS Product are Available?
COTS are ready to use software which is developed for any specific industry or business process keeping standards and general norms as the perspective. Your next question will be, then why should I require custom software for my business process requirement? Here are two main compelling reasons for why should you invest in a custom software development:
- No COTS software available in the market does exactly what you need- every business has its own need and style of functioning.
- The Ownership and Control of the software / application that is going to run your business is prime requirement or essential as a strategic asset.
- Alter your current business processes to accommodate the product.
- Customize the product to suit your business requirements and processes.
- Feasibility: Is there any possibilities to mould the readymade software to fulfill your necessity?
- Gap: Difference between the working of the readymade software and how it should work as per your business process?
- Friction: How much your software supplier is willing to or capable to incorporate your business requirements?
- Cost: How much efforts in terms of time as well as money are required to adjust the readymade software to your requirements?
- Future: What would be the support cost and man power required to keep the customization intact in case of new versions of the product are released?
Customized Software / Application as a Strategic Asset:In most of the cases where the software is specifically developed as per your business process requirement provides very smooth operation and you can get significant advantages for your operations. It also increases your efficiency in terms of operation and gives long term advantage to your business. Here are some examples:
- Everything is under your control and you can get more faster response on the changes and get positive effect on your business.
- New processes can be added easily.
- Most of the time to get reasonable advantage, custom software can be modified as per your business requirement compared to using readymade software which cannot be altered easily.
- As source code is with you, it is also easy to alter it with your own software development team (if you have any) or it can also be done by your preferred software development company.
- Custom software understands your requirement in a better way as it is developed as per your business requirement. Due to this implement process will also become fast and smooth.
- You will also get less resistance from your staff as they don’t have to change their current working process a lot.
- You may require making changes in your business process according to the software.
- The offering will cost less, but customization in the same (if at all possible) may add significant amount to your budget.
- Resistance from vendor for making changes is also to be considered.
- If vendor stops support or upgrading the software, you will need to start searching for replacement.
- No need to change your business process.
- Initial development cost for customized software could be higher, but in long run it will be much lesser than support, customization and business tailoring you will do on the readymade software.
- You will get what you wanted compared to readymade software where you sometime get unwanted features which you may never use.
- You can upgrade and make it compatible with your business as your business grows.